Thursday, January 21, 2010

Encore Restaurant in Denver Makes A Burger That Deserves a Standing Ovation

20100121-encore-intro.jpg

[Photographs of exterior/interior: encoreoncolfax.com; other photographs: Daniel Zemans]

Encore Restaurant

2550 E. Colfax Avenue, Denver CO 80206 (map); 303-355-1112‎; encoreoncolfax.com
Cooking Method: Grilled
Short Order: Restaurant that specializes in local food and pretty people puts out an outstanding burger.
Want Fries With That? Yes, please. The hand cut fries are served with a nice tangy mustard sauce.
Price: $11

I've become sufficiently confident in my ability to research restaurants and gauge the value of various online reviews that I tend to insist on picking restaurants when traveling, even if I'm staying with locals. I am more than happy to make exceptions when I have faith in the people I'm visiting, but neither my older sister nor her husband fall into that category. So I was a bit reluctant to check out Encore Restaurant for brunch upon their recommendation during a recent trip to Denver.

Encore opened in 2007 in the rehabbed and reconfigured Lowenstein Theater, a beautiful example of modern architecture that sadly stood unused for 20 years until 2005. When we got to Encore, I had every intention of getting something on the breakfast side of lunch under the assumption that pretty much every restaurant can make decent eggs and pancakes. But when I walked into the place and saw a little sign indicating that 5280 Magazine had declared Encore to have the best burger in Denver in 2009, my AHT instincts kicked in and my order was decided.

Now, having eaten the burger and tried some of most of the other entrĂ©es at the table, I am happy to report that I've been knocked off my high horse regarding my sister and brother-in-law's culinary tastes. Actually, that's a lie—I will file this under, "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut," but this was one delicious burger.